Share on: IoT Research Topics 2021 | Part 1 |...
IoT Research Topics 2021 | Part 1 |...
When you see or listen to this word “Robot”, a lot of thing flashes in your mind. You may have some knowledge about this as you have seen Skynet from the film Terminator, Transformers, or from other movies or tv series. Actually, those robots aren’t invented yet. But today, the world is so much dependent on the robot. Robots can do a lot of things that human cannot do or those are dangerous for a human to do. So, what is robotics and how it affects today’s world? This article is based on this question.
Table of Contents
- What is Robotics
- Robotics in Our Daily Life
- 1. Automated Transportation (Self-driving Robot)
- 2. Security, Defense, and Surveillance
- 3. Robots Cooking
- 4. Medicine
- 5. Education
- 6. Home Maintenance
- 7. Doing Dangerous Jobs
- 8. As a servant
- 9. Robot as friend
- 10. Crime Fighting
- Best Companies that Produce Robots
- Cons of Depending on Robots
What is Robotics
Robotics is a subject in engineering which studies about robots. Robotics is a branch of engineering that deals with the conception, manufacture, design, and operation of Robots. This field includes mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering and others.
This technology was introduced to develop machines which can substitute for humans. Robots are that kind of machines that can be used in any situation or for any purposes. But today, many robots are generally used in dangerous environments, manufacturing processes, or that jobs which are dangerous for humans. Robots can be in many forms. But some are made like a human. These robots are called humanoid robots. These robots replicate walking, lifting, cognition and a lot of things that a human can do.
Robotics isn’t invented recently. Science fiction writer Isaac Asimov created his Three Laws of Robotics in 1942. Norbert Wiener formulated the principles of cybernetics in 1948 that is the basis of practical robotics. Fully autonomous robots appeared in the late of 20th century. The Unimate which was the first digitally operated and programmable robots were installed in 1961. From then, various kinds of robots are being manufactured for various aspects.
Robotics in Our Daily Life
Robots are being used in a lot of branches of our life. Among them, 10 uses of robots in our daily life are described below:
1. Automated Transportation (Self-driving Robot)
The first widespread, high visibility use of mobile robots are seen by Autonomous Self-driving cars. The progress of automated self-driving vehicles development is surprising in the recent 10 or 15 years. New automobiles without robotics are like a computer with wheels. But with robotics, they are more efficient and dangerous free.
Self-driving robots are not that robots that can drive cars. Actually, this means that the cars are made like robots and artificial intelligence is introduced in that cars. In a modern world like in many countries in Europe and America, the automated self-driving vehicle is available. Like buses, trams, trains are automated. But vehicles like cars that run in the streets are not quite general. But recently, Audi, Mercedes, Google are introducing self-driving cars. The day is not that far when human drivers won’t be needed for driving vehicles. As a result, the accidents may not be occurring that much like today.
2. Security, Defense, and Surveillance
The Job of a security, defense, and surveillance robot is normal. It surveys the desired area. It immediately notifies the owner if there is any type of disturbance occurred. This kind of robot is used in the military. Surveillance is a widely used application of drones.
In the military, this type of robot does various kind of jobs. They are used to arm and disarm bombs. They are sent to the desired area to monitor enemy’s activity which is definitely a dangerous job for the soldiers.
For use in human’s daily life, this type of robot monitors home when people are away from their home. This robot helps people to monitor the skies, ground, and water from a remote location. You can control this type of robots from another location to send it to your desired location to monitor the activities of that location. Thus, you can protect your home and properties from being harmed if you are not there to monitor them.
3. Robots Cooking
After passing a full working day in the office, it becomes annoying to motivate yourself to cook a proper delicious meal for you when you get home. Instead of cooking the meal in a proper traditional way, many try to cook the food in a shortcut way which sometimes isn’t healthy and tasty enough. But how it would be if you would have a robotic cooking assistant for you which would make the food as you want?
There are many programmable robots which can cook food according to your choice. You just have to set the quantity of the ingredients of the food. The rest will be done by the robot. Many robots are now introduced which can copy you. All you need is just do the cooking in front of the robot for once. The movement of your body is recorded by the camera. From then, the robot will copy your actions to make that food for you. This kind of robotic cooking assistants is introduced in many hotels and houses.
Some companies manufacture this kind robot. Among them, Moley Robotics, Shadow Robot Companies are quite famous.
The impact of robotics is undeniable in the field is medicine. Recently, engineers have successfully discovered surgical robots. This success has attracted large financial investment on robots in medical science.
Recently, Google and Johnson & Johnson are working together to create next-generation medical robot system. In the recent past, robots were only used in the clinical system just as assistants. But now, they are introduced as part and parcel of the clinical system. Though it is not possible yet, it is not too far that robots will replace surgeons in surgical operations.
Robot system in established in clinics around the world. So, engineers are working hard to successfully invent micro and nanorobots. Because they are capable of doing things which need precise and accurate performance as a human cannot do that kind of things. For drug delivery system, these robots can locally concentrate therapeutic payload around pathological sites so that they can reduce the dose of administrative drugs and side effects caused by them.
Robotics is now called as a General-Purpose Technology. That means it has the potential to alter societies by its impacts on economic and social structures. So, now it is natural to discuss robotics in education.
Many students suffer from various kinds of diseases every day. So, they cannot physically attend the classes. For this reason, they miss lessons. Engineers have made that kind of robots which can help the students attend their classes from afar. The robot performs as a person in the classroom which is controlled by the person himself. Its cameras are his eyes and body is for interacting with other students and teachers. So, the person can see and do everything in the classroom that he wants to do from the hospital or the house.
Autistic students generally find it irritating and confusing when they communicate with other people. The Humanoid robots look like humans. So, it is easy to interact with them as they look like a human. These robots can help the autistic students by teaching social cues, educational lessons. The success is quite good in this field.
Science has made it possible to learn something from a distance place. Technology has already made it possible and will only continue to make it better. Now, teachers can teach a class even not at present in the class. In that case, a telepresence robot does the job. That robot acts like a human and is controlled by the person himself from a distance place. So, students find it interesting and interactive to interact with the person through the robot.
6. Home Maintenance
Robots are now being made available for personal uses. You can have these robots to help you with household chores. Though these robots are not invented fully like this yet, I believe that soon it will be made possible. Some example of home maintaining robots:
- Home robots are used to look after pet animals even if you are not at home.
- Home robots monitor you every day It knows when you take bath, meal, and other things. It makes them ready for you before you need.
- If you are not in a home. No tension, the robot is there for you look after your home. It alerts you if there is any disturbance observed near your home.
- Robots can help with laundry, do preparatory work for cooking meals, clean kitchen and toilets.
- Many robots can pick up different things like toys, clothes, newspapers. It can help you by doing that.
- Some robots can assemble furniture and help you with moving heavy objects.
- Now, many robots can answer your phone call and are capable of continuing formal conversation.
There are many things that robot can do for home maintenance. But yet, that kind of robots are not that available or if available, they cost much.
7. Doing Dangerous Jobs
Some robots are relieving human by replacing them from dangerous jobs. There are many examples where robots are becoming essential.
- An important example is robotic welding. Manual welding is dangerous for human body. It produces a lot of noise and intense hit. Robots are doing a great job in this section.
- Oil companies inspect their pipelines by pipe-inspecting robots. It is a dangerous task for human as the pipe may full of toxic gas which can cause death to a human.
- Robots are being used to arm and disarm bombs which were an extremely life killing jobs for a human.
- In nuclear plants, a lot of nuke wastes are being produced every day. The wastes produce nuclear radiation which is harmful to So, now robots are being used as nuke cleaner.
- Robots are now working as a firefighter.
- Waste from sewers is harmful to human body. So, robots are being used a sewer scraper.
There are many dangerous jobs for human in which robots have replaced humans.
8. As a servant
Robotic engineers are working hard to make the robot as your servant. So that it can help you almost in all matters. Now-a-days:
- Cooker robots are there to make your meals as like as you want.
- Laundry robots are there to make ready your used clothes.
- Surveillance robots look after your home when you are away from home.
- Some robots can look after your pets too.
- Many robots can fetch things for you whatever you want.
9. Robot as friend
Now, a robot is not only a machine who works for you. Artificial intelligent robots are so smart that they can act as friends. As engineers are always working to make artificial intelligence better, robots are more acting like a human. Some robots monitor you. They which you like or how you like that or which you don’t like. They can do things according to your choice. These make those robots friend.
As an example, Boomer which was a bomb disposal robot was given a military funeral which was being completed with 21-gun salutes. Because the robot had a personality of its own and it saved its human friends’ life on many occasions. So, its comrades felt that they owed him a military send off.
Robots are used as explorers. Many spaceships are operated by robots. It is sometimes a very dangerous job for a human. Robots do this for us. Recently, NASA sent a robot named “curiosity” to explore the Mars. It is not possible for a human.
In many western countries, it often happens that people are choosing robots as their life partner. From this, it can surely be said that present robots can make good friends as human.
10. Crime Fighting
Robots are not only used for general purposes but also working to keep peace in the society. They are working as a crime fighter. Some examples:
- Silicon Valley-based Knightscope manufactures some robots that patrol areas. Shopping malls, residences are kept secured by these security robots.
- The K1 which is a checker robot that can scan passers-by whether they are carrying weapons or not.
- The K7 robots can traverse rugged terrain, dirt, and sand on its wheels. So, they can patrol areas which are dangerous for human.
- Robots are now used to arm and disarm bombs which are a dangerous task for a human.
- In future robot may be work as a soldier. If that happens, a lot of life will be saved.
- Some aircrafts are known as drones which are operated by humans from a distance place. They are nothing but robots operated by humans.
Best Companies that Produce Robots
There are many companies that produce Robots. Among them, best companies are listed here.
- IROBOT: They build robots that live among us.
- Starsky Robots: They are popular for making automated vehicles.
- Touch Bionics: They build bionic robots.
- Google: They build and invest in robots that can truly change the world.
- Neurala: They are popular for making smart, artificially intelligent robots.
- Rethink Robotics: Popular for making humanoid robots.
- NanoRacks: They are making space researcher robots.
- Accuracy: Generally, makes medical robots.
- Liquid Robotics: It makes robots for environmental purposes.
- Jibo: They are making social interactive robots.
- Pillo: Popular for making medical robots.
- Prox Dynamics: Make military robots.
There are many well-known robot manufacturing companies except these.
Cons of Depending on Robots
There is no such thing that has only advantages. As you may have seen movies like iRobot, Wall-e etc. From that movies, you can have some idea about disadvantages of robots. Though our present situation is not like that. Some disadvantages of depending on the robot are given below:
- Robots are too much costly. It also needs so much power and money to maintain that. So, they cost so much money.
- The robots are replacing human from many jobs. As many factories are too much dependent on robots, people are losing jobs. So, they have to find new jobs or remain unemployed.
- The programs or machines of robots need to be updated. So, it takes so much money to maintain them.
- Too much dependency on robots is causing health damage to humans.
- Robots cannot typically handle unexpected situations.
- The robot has no human sense at all. It is not good to have an emotionless
Humans are still considered as more efficient than robots in various aspects. Because humans are intelligent, emotional, decision maker. So, they can handle a lot of unexpected situations that robots cannot.
Robots are blessings for human in various aspects. The application of robotics is too vast to describe. It is hard to find any factory working without robots. Robots are being used on many occasions in our daily life. But depending on robots too much can cause damage to human strengths. So, it will be wise for humans to research a lot about using robots in various sectors before it is too late. This article was written based on the topic “what is robotics”. If you have already gone through the whole article, you now have a lot of knowledge about robotics and its various sectors.
What are the impacts of robotics in our daily life? ›
They can handle lifting heavy loads, toxic substances and repetitive tasks. This has helped companies to prevent many accidents, also saving time and money.What are 5 uses of robot? ›
Robots are widely used in manufacturing, assembly and packing, transport, earth and space exploration, surgery, weaponry, laboratory research, and mass production of consumer and industrial goods.How does robot technology impact the world? ›
Robots will increase economic growth and productivity and create new career opportunities for many people worldwide. However, there are still warnings out there about massive job losses, forecasting losses of 20 million manufacturing jobs by 2030, or how 30% of all jobs could be automated by 2030.What is a positive impact of robots? ›
Industrial robots have helped to boost productivity, safety, and time savings. Robots are able to produce incredibly accurate, consistent, and high quality work without needing breaks or holidays off. Industrial robots also help to remove workers from the hazardous environments and back breaking labor.What are 3 ways that robots help humans today? ›
Robots are also used in factories to build things like cars, candy bars, and electronics. Robots are now used in medicine, for military tactics, for finding objects underwater and to explore other planets. Robotic technology has helped people who have lost arms or legs. Robots are a great tool to help mankind.What are the 6 types of real robots? ›
The six most common types of robots are autonomous mobile robots (AMRs), automated guided vehicles (AGVs), articulated robots, humanoids, cobots, and hybrids.What are 4 uses for modern day robots? ›
- Domestic use. More and more people are relying on domestic robots to perform household chores. ...
- Industry. Another common use of robotics is that of industrial processes, especially in the automotive industry and other assemblies by parts. ...
- Medicine. ...
- Physics and Chemistry. ...
Examples are the robot dog Aibo, the Roomba vacuum, AI-powered robot assistants, and a growing variety of robotic toys and kits. Disaster Response: These robots perform dangerous jobs like searching for survivors in the aftermath of an emergency.What technology is used in robotics? ›
Robotic technology is converging with a wide variety of complementary technologies – machine vision, force sensing (touch), speech recognition and advanced mechanics. This results in exciting new levels of functionality for jobs that were never before considered practical for robots.What is the latest technology in robotics? ›
- Robear. The Robear is a high-tech teddy bear that helps to raise an elderly patient from a bed into a wheelchair. ...
- ASIMO. ASIMO is a humanoid robot developed by Honda. ...
- BionicSwift. ...
- Spot. ...
- Bird-Legged Drone. ...
- RoBoHon. ...
- Nao. ...
What are 10 advantages or benefits of robots? ›
- Reduced operating costs. ...
- Improved product quality & quality of work for employees. ...
- Increased Competitive Advantage. ...
- Increased production output. ...
- Increased product manufacturing flexibility. ...
- Reduced waste and increased yield. ...
- Improved health and safety.
- Boosted productivity and efficiency. ...
- Enhanced system flexibility. ...
- Upgraded product quality. ...
- Increased cost savings. ...
- Elevated workplace safety. ...
- Heightened customer satisfaction. ...
- Advanced data analytics. ...
- Reduced waste.
- Robots consist of some sort of mechanical construction. ...
- Robots need electrical components that control and power the machinery. ...
- Robots contain at least some level of computer programming.
The main components of an industrial robot are Manipulators, End Effectors, Feedback devices, Controllers, and Locomotive devices.What are the 8 components of a robot? ›
The key components of a robot are Power conversion unit, Actuators, Electric motors, Pneumatic Air Muscles, Muscle wires, Piezo Motors and Ultrasonic Motors, Sensors, and Robot locomotion.What are 4 advantages of robots? ›
- Safety. Safety is the most obvious advantage of utilizing robotics. ...
- Speed. Robots don't get distracted or need to take breaks. ...
- Consistency. ...
- Perfection. ...
- Happier Employees. ...
- Job Creation. ...
- Unlike humans, robots don't get bored.
- Until they wear out, they can do the same thing again and again.
- They can be very accurate – to fractions of an inch (as is needed for example in manufacturing of microelectronics)
Modern technologies, including robots and AI, contribute to the development of digital health and significantly improve medical care. Robotic machines have become irreplaceable surgeons' assistants. They enable minimal invasiveness and improved accuracy during operations, which reduces recovery time for patients.Why are robots good for the future? ›
The future of robots
We'll see advances in robots' ability to use natural language processing solutions, allowing them to process and interpret conversations more accurately. We'll see major gains in AI and machine learning, with experts anticipating that more self-aware and self-learning devices will hit the market.
The six most common types of robots are autonomous mobile robots (AMRs), automated guided vehicles (AGVs), articulated robots, humanoids, cobots, and hybrids.
What are some helpful robots? ›
- Robots “maid” for you. In a recent poll, more than 70 percent of people said their homes would be cleaner if they had robots to do their chores. ...
- iRobot Bravva jet 240. ...
- Gladwell Gecko Robot Window Cleaner. ...
- Aiper Seagull Pro. ...
- Grillbot. ...
- Yarbo. ...
- Smart robots for smarter kids. ...
- LEGO Education.
3E stands for Empower, Experience and Empathy, which the Japanese automaker sees as the three ways robotics can enhance our daily lives.What are the three 3 types of robots? ›
There are three types of robotic systems – the manipulation robotic system, the mobile robotic system and the data acquisition and control robotic system. The manipulation robot system is the most commonly used in the manufacturing industry.Where are robots mostly used? ›
Robots are impacting industries from automotive manufacturing to agriculture, from warehousing to pharmaceuticals. Some industries have long been using robotics, while others have only just begun. This article presents an overview of the most significant users of industrial robots.What 3 things make a robot? ›
A basic typical robot has a movable physical structure, a motor of some sort, a sensor system, a power supply and a computer "brain" that controls all of these elements. Essentially, robots are human-made versions of animal life — they are machines that replicate human and animal behavior.What does robotics technology do? ›
Robotics is a branch of engineering that involves the conception, design, manufacture and operation of robots. The objective of the robotics field is to create intelligent machines that can assist humans in a variety of ways.What is the most high tech robot? ›
Sophia. Sophia is considered the most advanced humanoid robot. Sophia debuted in 2016, she was one of a kind, and her interaction with people was the most unlikely thing you can ever see in a machine.How have robots improved over time? ›
Robotics has evolved considerably over the past 70 or so years, becoming ever more capable, efficient, reactive, flexible, and precise. This robot precision is be the key to future applications. The earliest industrial automation took on repetitive tasks that didn't require high precision, such as painting car doors.How robotics is used in society today? ›
Robots can be used to replace or extend humans in hazardous environments, from industrial plants to planetary exploration. They can be used to help and assist humans, from surgery to manufacturing. They can be used to repair humans in the form of prosthesis. Automated driving might transform our future cities.What is robotics and how it is useful? ›
Robotics is a branch of engineering that involves the conception, design, manufacture and operation of robots. The objective of the robotics field is to create intelligent machines that can assist humans in a variety of ways.
How useful is your learning about robotics in life? ›
Apart from its multiple uses in various industries, robotics is also an exciting and innovative teaching tool that is becoming increasingly significant as kids learn a variety of new concepts and abilities that will be highly helpful in the future through recreational activities.What is the impact of the robotics in industry? ›
The use of robotics will increase productivity and has the potential to bring more manufacturing production work back to developed countries. As productivity increases, labor is likely to receive a significant share of the benefits.How robots make our lives easier? ›
There is no question that robots are a great deal more efficient than humans, especially when it comes to things like manufacturing goods. Not only are robots able to work with better accuracy, which reduces the amount of time and materials wasted, they can also work faster (and longer) than humans can.What are the main uses of robots? ›
Robots are widely used in manufacturing, assembly, packing and packaging, mining, transport, earth and space exploration, surgery, weaponry, laboratory research, safety, and the mass production of consumer and industrial goods.What is the useful life of a robot? ›
FANUC tells us that a robot in a typical duty cycle application will run 80,000 to 100,000 hours without any failures. This is extraordinary given the amount of work a robot can perform in that amount of time. As with all equipment, there are the usual caveats concerning proper maintenance during the life of the robot.How do robotics learn to do things? ›
Robots typically learn to do tasks with one of two methods. The first, called imitation learning, involves humans manually operating a robot to teach it a task. The second, called reinforcement learning, requires robots to learn from millions of examples in simulation, then adapting that training to the real world.How does robotics affect education? ›
Robotics Helps with Developing Critical-Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills. Developing the right skills will prepare students for the competitive educational and professional society. Robotics boosts skills that are the foundation of success, such as critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.What are 10 disadvantages of industrial robots? ›
- High initial investment. Robots typically require a large upfront investment. ...
- Expertise can be scarce. Industrial robots need sophisticated operation, maintenance and programming. ...
- Ongoing costs.
The speed that robotics brings into production directly boosts the consumption of those goods by the masses. In the long term, increased consumption leads to planned obsolescence and depletion of natural resources. Planned obsolescence involves the creation of products that become obsolete fast and need to be replaced.